If your wisdom teeth are causing problems for you—health and/or aesthetic issues—our Tinley Park wisdom teeth dentists are here to help. Wisdom teeth—the molars that sit in the in the back of your smile—can lead to all kinds of issues for adult patients.
Here are some things to know about wisdom teeth, and how we remove them:
1. Wisdom teeth usually start to emerge when the patient is in his or her late teens or early twenties.
2. Because wisdom teeth emerge after the rest of the patient’s smile has come in, it can be difficult for wisdom teeth to emerge full (most adults don’t have room in their mouths for wisdom teeth)
3. Wisdom teeth often come in at odd angles due to lack of space along the gum line. Wisdom teeth can also be impacted—meaning that they are stuck in the jawbone tissue.
4. Our dental team removes emerged wisdom teeth as well as impacted wisdom teeth. If your wisdom teeth have emerged, we may be able to pull them as we’d pull other teeth. If your wisdom teeth are compacted, we will surgically remove your wisdom teeth.
5. Here are some of the issues that can result from untreated wisdom teeth: these teeth are hard to keep clean, so they can lead to cavities and gum disease; wisdom teeth can put pressure on emerged teeth, and lead to dental misalignment; many people feel pressure and pain as their wisdom teeth come in.
If you are not sure whether or not your wisdom teeth need to be removed, please feel free to reach out to our Orland Park dentists. Once we assess your smile, we can provide you with personalized recommendations about how to move forward in order to maintain optimal oral health.