Bright and luminous teeth can make your entire smile look younger, fresher, and more perfected. Unfortunately, there are substances and natural processes that are continually working to dull and darken your smile. But don’t worry; there are simple things that you can do every day in order to maintain the luminosity of your smile.
The first step to maintaining your smile is to follow your dentist-recommended dental hygiene routine.
· Brush your teeth at least twice a day
· Floss at least once a day
· Use a mouthwash if your dentist deems it appropriate
· Talk to your dentist about using a type of toothpaste that has whitening effects
And don’t forget that you need to undergo bi-annual professional cleanings in order to keep long-term plaque and tartar accumulation in check.
Because many dental stains are caused by the foods and drinks that we consume every day, we need to take proactive steps to minimize staining.
· Drink plenty of water to encourage healthy saliva production
· Swish water around your mouth in order to clear away substances on your enamel
· If you are finding it difficult to keep your mouth clean, ask your dentist if you should be brushing or flossing after eating in the middle of the day
To tackle existing discoloration and dullness, you can try completing over-the-counter or professional dental whitening treatments to achieve visible results. Dental bonding and porcelain veneers are other cosmetic options in case whitening formulations are not effective on your dental enamel.
When you come in for a personal consultation with our dental team, we will give you a better idea of what kinds of cosmetic treatments might work to brighten your smile. Please call our Orland Park cosmetic dentist office to get more information and to schedule an appointment with our dentist.