At one point in human history, wisdom teeth were probably necessary so that people could effectively chew things and extract nutrients from food. Now, however, few people have enough room along their jawlines to accommodate wisdom teeth. That is why timely wisdom tooth removal from our Orland Park dentists is so crucial for many dental patients!
Your wisdom teeth sit behind your back most molars. They are the last teeth to emerge; your wisdom teeth will likely come in when you are in your late teens or early twenties.
Here’s the problem: many people do not have enough room in their mouths to house wisdom teeth. So, when wisdom teeth try to pop through to the surface of the patient’s smile, they cause a number of problems:
· Wisdom teeth can put pressure on your existing smile, and actually make your other teeth shift and become crowded.
· It is very possible that your wisdom teeth will only partially break through your gum tissue. Unfortunately, these spots become prime places for oral bacteria to accumulate, colonize, and take root. This makes it more likely that you will suffer from cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
· Impacted wisdom teeth are teeth that are not able to emerge; these teeth are stuck in the patient’s jawbone. Impacted teeth can damage adjacent teeth and even dental nerves.
Stay alert for signs of problematic wisdom teeth:
· You may experience pain or a sensation of tightness in the back of your smile
· If you start to suffer from hard-to-treat bad breath this could be due to partially erupted wisdom teeth
· Talk to your dentist if your existing dental alignment seems to be changing
Our Orland Park wisdom teeth dentists are happy to give you any additional information you may need about dealing with this issue. Call our office to get started, or use the Contact Us page on our website to submit a question.