Your at-home dental routine takes very little time to complete every day, yet it makes a huge difference to the state of your smile. Patients who floss and brush religiously enjoy brighter and healthier smiles than those who do not. Our Orland Park dentist office helps patients of all ages get the most out of their oral hygiene routines by providing them with the dental health information they need. So keep reading to get the tips and tricks that you require to floss correctly.
Flossing is so simple, but many patients neglect to complete this important dental hygiene step. If you are ready to start developing better habits, all you have to do is to start flossing at least once a day. This will allow you to clear away newly formed plaque from your dental surfaces.
· Floss once a day, preferably at night before you go to bed
· Floss right before you brush, so that you can quickly brush and rinse away any plaque and dental debris that you scrape away
· Don’t skip a day—this allows plaque to calcify on your teeth and become tartar!
Now on to technique! In order to clear away as much plaque as possible:
· Floss between every single tooth, up past the gum line
· If your section of floss already has plaque on it from a previous tooth, do not place the same portion of floss between a new tooth
· Use both a vertical and horizontal motion to clean between each tooth
By following these simple tips you can greatly decrease your likelihood of experiencing dental cavities and periodontal disease. This simple preventative step is a critical component of every healthy dental hygiene routine.
Our Tinley Park dentist office has all kinds of information about how patients can eliminate as much plaque as possible from their smiles. Let’s get started improving the state of your smile!