If you have noticed that your smile is starting to look different as time goes on, you certainly aren’t alone. Our Orland Park dentists often hear from dental patients who are dismayed to look in the mirror and realize that their teeth are showing wear and tear.
The good news is that our dental team can help you learn what to look out for, as well as help you rejuvenate your smile after age-related deterioration.
The main reason that your smile changes as you get older is because your dental enamel changes with age. Remember that dental enamel is that hard, pretty non-porous layer that makes up the outer layers of your teeth. Dental enamel comes into contact with many abrasive and acidic substances every single day. This causes enamel to thin over the years, which leads to:
· Your dental enamel being prone to accumulating dental stains from foods and drinks
· The dentin (which is the yellow tooth layer under your enamel) showing through to the surface of your smile
· Your dental enamel growing weaker, and becoming susceptible to dental cracks and chips
If you do notice any of these problems with your smile, our dental team can help you refresh your smile in a number of ways:
· Professional whitening treatments lighten existing stains on your dental enamel
· Dental bonding covers discolored enamel, and repair minor dental damage with sturdy dental resin
· Cosmetic restorations, like LUMINEERS, are used to cover problematic teeth with fresh and durable porcelain
If you are looking for more information about how smiles can change with time, or if you want to learn what kinds of restorative or cosmetic treatments might be appropriate for your smile, please feel free to call our Tinley Park dentists! We are here to help you maintain a healthy and attractive smile for years to come.